Pregnancy can be one of the most spirited, connected, intuitive times of your life. You may feel more ‘in touch’ with yourself than every before. And you can use this heightened sense of intuition to create the best possible birth experience for you and your baby. The investment that you make during your pregnancy for a Rockstar Birth will make a huge difference. Taking the times each day to tap into your body, listen to your feelings, connect with your baby, release any fears, reinforce your positive self-belief – these are all GOLD in terms of birth preparation.
photo credit: depositphotos/CHRTKD
Here are some tools that might help you create your own fabulous birth preparation:
- Visualisation – Create a vision of your ideal birth and be bold. You want to birth without drugs? In a pool? At home? With an orgasm? You want to have a vaginal birth after a caesarean? Or have immediate skin-to-skin? Or delayed cord clamping? Right on, sister! Put depth and colour to your vision – who is there, what does the room look like, are the lights dim, is there music playing, are you standing/floating/swaying. Feel your way into it – what is the energy like? Visualise your supportive birth team, the calm environment, you & your baby working beautifully together. Imagine being surrounded and supported by every woman who has ever given birth – feel their energy. Imagine holding your new baby – feel the love. Ooh, and then imagine being able to paint your own nails/sleep on your tummy/go for 3 hours without having to wee – yippee, those days are coming back soon!
- Energetic touch – Being touched and held by healing hands is a very powerful form of relaxation during pregnancy. Investing in regular massage, chiropractic adjustments, acupuncture, reiki, or whatever works for you, is an absolute MUST. Be sure to find practitioners who are aware of, and aligned with, your birthing intentions, and who will hold space for you during your pregnancy. Make them your Pregnancy Cheersquad who will ensure your body is in perfect birthing condition. I was seeing my chiropractor weekly in the last month of my most recent pregnancy and in the last session, as soon as she put her hands on me, she said something like ‘Ooh, your body is ripe and open and ready to go. Your baby is coming, hon. She’ll be here within 48 hours. Go home and get on your fit ball and bring this baby down’. Now my other babes had all been 1-2 weeks late so I wasn’t convinced this baby was going to come early but she was absolutely right. Later the following day, our beautiful babe was born. Ripe and ready, here we come!
- Connection – You can feel pretty alone when you’re pregnant, even if you’re surrounded by people… take a breath, you are not alone. Connect in with your baby, hook up, and take this journey together. Think of it as a little birth party for just the two of you. Pregnancy and birth is an incredible act of teamwork and you are in it together. I remember repeating ‘c’mon baby, c’mon baby, we can do this, we can do this’ in my head throughout my daughter’s birth. I felt strong and empowered by repeating that statement, and by focusing on our connection.
- Tap into Your Intuition – The journey to motherhood is an intensely spiritual time. Even if you always considered yourself rather spiritually beige, then get ready. Pregnancy will open internal doors, expose unfathomable depths, and reveal layers of your soul that you previously did not know existed. Embrace them all. This period of expansion (for both your soul, and your waistline) is one of the true sparkling gems of pregnancy – explore it. Get creative, start a journal, spend time in nature, talk/sing/connect with your baby, meditate, spend time in the sun and with the moon. Try whatever calls out to you. Release your inner hippy – she is a fantastic birth guide.
- Trust and Surrender – When it comes time to birth, trust that you are ready. Trust that the universe has got your back. Trust that you have done what you need to do. Now is the time to surrender and let go. Release any final fears, release any expectations, surrender to the journey and enjoy the ride. Birth does not happen according to a plan, a timeframe, or as a series of steps. Know that your baby will be born exactly the way that it’s meant to be – for your baby, and for you. Breech, vaginal, transverse, posterior, c-section… it’s ALL goodness. Retain your feminine birthing power regardless of how your birth experience unfolds. Trust that everything is happening exactly as it should – that this is the journey that was meant to be for you and your baby. Trust in the lessons you will both learn from this experience. Trust in that flow. Trust in your baby’s divine timing. It’s all good.
You’ve got this, Mama x
The Rockstar Birth Magazine
Scared of birth? The Rockstar Birth Magazine is born from a desire to inform and empower pregnant mamas to approach their birth with excitement and awe. Less fear, more trust. Less pushing, more flowing. Less focus on risk, more on self-belief. My mission is to provide pregnant mamas with the tips + tricks + deep soulful trust to make their birth journey one of the most expansive and uplifting experiences of their lives.
Want to birth like a Rockstar? Become a Rockstar Mama member here: rockstarbirthmagazine.com and immerse yourself in 12+ digital magazine issues covering 12+ months of birthing wisdom. Full of empowering month-specific information and positive birthing insights, experiences, and stories in each issue. You’ll have everything you need to rock your birth, your way x